Thursday, October 23, 2008

Zombie Squirrel! Forest of The Dead...




IF YOU ARE EASILY DISTURBED OR OFFENDED, DON'T READ WHAT FOLLOWS OR LOOK AT THE PICTURES! I am posting this in such a way that you are warned so you don't have a right to complain and claim some type of offense at this...

DOWN...

DOWN...

DOWN...

DOWN...

DOWN...

DOWN...

KEEP GOING...

DOWN...

So, I'm on the phone with Ken yesterday and my Son runs down the hallway to inform me that a squirrel is eating a bird. My Son, ever the practical joker, I think, "Yeah right...squirrel eating a bird." I don't even remember what I said to him...

I look out the back window and, to my absolute amazement, there is a common gray squirrel eating a bird! I grab tha camera and I shot a rather crappy picture of this zombified squirrel, who shall from this day forward be referred to as "George" for "George Romero," then I went outside and shot a few more pics of the CARNAGE OF THE LIVING DEAD.

Just a note, this is not a prank, this is 100% true. I have never heard of anything like this. My Wife has never heard of anything like this. Ken, who has actually raised a couple of squirrels and like myself, has watched and enjoyed squirrels for years...has never heard of this type of behavior from Gray Squirrels.

The photos are graphic, so, don't complain.

3 comments:

Ken Cook said...

This is truly wierd. Squirrels are rodents, and as such, are omniverous. They are capable of eating pretty much anything but from everything I've ever seen while raising baby squirrels, they pretty much have no desire to eat meat at all. Unless possibly, they can't get anything else. I suspect they're much like us in this respect. When faced with the possibility of starvation their attitudes concerning what is edible/inedible can change radically.

But then, you said this squirrel didn't appear to have missed many meals lately, so I think you're right. It's a zombie squirrel.

Braaaaaaaazil nuuuuuuuts!

Don R. said...

Look at him sitting at the base of the tree, doesn't look like he's missed too many meals! And look at the picture of him in mid-air going up the side of the tree. It's blurred because he was moving fast but I think he had the bird in his mouth when he did that.

Blackthorn D. Stick said...

Back in the late 80s' and early 90s', The power company I work for here in NYC put me on a job designing barriers to keep squirrels out of some of our capacitor banks. The squirrels would climb on the eqpmt. and cause arcing that would either cause a breaker to trip out (replacement cost approx. $5,000)and on one occasion they caused a fire that destroyed the capacitor and damaged the containment structure around it. Repair costs were around $300,000.
The reason why the sqirrels were climbing on the equipment was that they were able to use the height of the cap banks to access pigeon nests that were on adjacent structures.
They used to eat the baby pigeons.
At one station in brooklyn, this went on for years.
Truth is always stranger than fiction.